Every year thousands of people are killed, injured or disfigured by medical malpractice. Fresno Law Firm Chandler Law has handled many significant medical malpractice or medical negligence cases to conclusion, whether settlement or verdict. Most recently, Mr. Chandler tried the matter of Chevaliar v. Kaiser Permanente to verdict in Fresno County Superior Court and the jury returned a damages award of $5,000,000. For this, Mr. Chandler was nominated for Street Fighter of the Year by his peers, an award that is given once a year at the Annual Convention sponsored by CAOC-Consumer Attorneys of California.
Have You Been Injured Due to the Negligence of Medical Professional?
While medicine is not an exact science, a patient expects that he or she will be treated with a high degree of skill and care by physicians, therapists and nurses. Any medical professional must operate within recognized standards of practice or be subject to the potential of legal action.
The Chandler Law Firm of Fresno, California can help you with:
- Operating on the wrong body part;
- The wrongful death of a loved one;
- Improper administration of the wrong drugs;
- Performing a procedure one is not licensed to perform;
- Failure to diagnose a condition, injury, cancer or tumor;
- Leaving a foreign body (often a medical instrument) in the patient;
- Excessive radiation exposure during X-ray;
- Burns during surgery;
- Dropping a patient during surgery or transportation;
- Paralysis during surgery because of a severed nerve;
- Inappropriate sexual contact with a patient;
- Refusing to provide treatment because of no insurance;
- Failure to fully inform a patient of risks of a procedure before surgery;
- Failure to order tests that would have diagnosed a condition;
There are several additional ways that a physician may commit an act of medical negligence or commit malpractice. Contact our office if you have any questions and also be mindful that there are strict timing limitations on when you may be allowed to bring a lawsuit, so contact a legal professional immediately if you need advice in this regard.
Medical Malpractice Law
To establish liability and recover damages in a medical negligence case, you must prove that the medical professional breached the standard of care that others in the profession would employ in the same or similar circumstances. This often requires the use of an expert to testify about the appropriate standard and how the doctor, therapist, nurse and others failed to meet that standard.
If your lawyer proves liability, you are entitled to damages. Your damages for pain and suffering have been capped at $250,000 by a law passed in 1976. California Legislation is currently working to increase the capped amount a person is entitled to for Pain and Suffering, but as of today, non-economic damages remain limited to $250,000.00.
Contact Chandler Law today to discuss your Potential Medical Malpractice Case
If you believe that you or someone you love has suffered because of the negligence of a health care provider, contact our office at (559) 431-7770 or fill out our detailed case questionnaire so that we may review your case.