Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, home health providers, financial advisers, and even family members often treat the elderly in adverse and harmful ways rather than as valuable members of society. These vulnerable senior citizens often face various types of abuse or neglect or are treated as sources of income for those who are in charge of their care.
At Chandler Law, our elder abuse advocates work to guard and protect senior citizens from abuse and neglect that is all too frequent in senior care facilities and among private caretakers. Attorney Stuart Chandler has been a tireless advocate for the elderly and has been recognized as one of the top elder abuse and nursing home attorneys in the Central Valley. If you are a senior citizen or the family of one who needs assistance, our firm can help you fight back through appropriate legal action seeking the justice you deserve.
Connect with Chandler Law by sending us your contact information or by calling (559) 825-2318 to speak with a Fresno nursing home elder abuse attorney. We serve Fresno, Madera County, Kern County, and Tulare County. Hablamos español.
The nursing home and assisted care facilities have not done a good job overall as an industry whose purpose is to care for the elderly. According to the National Center on Elder Abuse, at least 10 percent of those over the age of 85 will suffer some form of elder abuse in any given year. However, it is widely known that elder abuse and neglect incidents are vastly underreported.
Unfortunately, in too many elder care facilities, money is more important than appropriately caring for residents. These facilities are often understaffed, fail to adequately screen, train, or supervise their staff, and employ staff who are not qualified or trained for the functions they are hired to perform.
The types of elder abuse and neglect that seniors can suffer include the following:
- Physical: this can include hitting, pushing, shoving, pinching, shaking, slapping, and any other type of unnecessary force.
- Emotional/psychological: this can include verbal and nonverbal abuse, such as shouting, insults, intimidation, ridicule, humiliation, and isolation.
- Sexual abuse: this can include unwanted touching, sexual assault, and interaction with elders who cannot give consent.
- Financial abuse: this can include financial exploitation, stealing an elder’s possessions, unexplained cash transfers, changes in wills or estate plans, improperly using Powers of Attorney, and more.
- Neglect: this can involve malnutrition, dehydration, failure to provide necessary personal hygiene, medicine, and other basic needs.
The results of elder abuse can be devastating. For example, neglected residents can develop bed sores which, if they become infected, can result in bone infection and/or lost limbs. Abused or neglected nursing home residents can be overmedicated, chemically restrained, suffer falls leading to broken hips and other bones, lose their financial resources, require emergency room care, and more.
Chandler Law – Giving the Elderly a Voice
The elderly are easy targets for abuse and neglect due to their frail physical and mental capabilities. We believe elder abuse becomes possible when seniors become confused and individuals and businesses take advantage of that confusion.
Our team is here to give the elderly the voice they need when victimized by unscrupulous caregivers and facilities. We fight for the rights of those who have suffered unnecessary harm through appropriate claims and lawsuits.